Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Christmas Card Holder


I had the wrought iron piece shown below left over from this project (which will be getting another remix at some point coming up - just don't tell my husband :-)) . It's been hanging out in the garage, and as I started to think about decorating for Christmas the idea hit me (not hard, so I'm okay :-)) that it could be used as a Christmas card holder. I decided to put it on the interior front door to spruce it up a bit. The door is visible from most of the main living area so we'll be able to enjoy the cards, which is the point. So...

BEFORE

We (he) used a side grinder (a tool which I had never heard of prior to this) to grind off the tabs which had previously been used to attach it to the folding screen. Once that was done, I painted it with some gold spray paint, looped some ribbon through the top to attach it to the door and made a little bow and greenery to add a little something at the top. I'm actually not thrilled with that part and may end up doing something else there, but for now... I rummaged through last year's Christmas cards and attached some so that you could get the idea. Since I'm going to have to take them off and put this year's on I was too lazy to put a ton on :-) I punched a hole through the corner of each card and attached it to the holder with ribbon.


I used little disc magnets on the back of the holder to snug it to the door so that it wouldn't bang around every time we opened and closed the door. That's why I used ribbon to attach the cards - any type of clips I tried pushed the iron away from the door and the magnets gave way.

That's it! Hope you're all having a good day...

The $35 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway ends today at midnight!

I'm participating in the following blog parties (buttons are on my sidebar):

DIY Day at ASPTL
Get Your Craft On at Today's Creative Blog