Sunday, March 14, 2010

Accessorizing Shelves/Bookcases

Wow, it's been a week already since I've posted! It amazes me how fast time flies by. Good thing I warned you, huh? :-) Hope you're all doing well and that this is the start of a a great week for you. Thanks for hanging in there with me!

BHG.com

Do you have trouble accessorizing your bookshelves? For me, it's a trial and error-put that here-move that there-eliminate that-put that back again kind of process that takes some time. Going through that process can be completely overwhelming for many people. That's why I say that there are some times when copying can be a good thing, and I think accessorizing your bookshelves is one of those times!

BHG.com

Sure there are guidelines, and I outline some of them in this Accessorizing Above Kitchen Cabinets post that I did last July. (It was a kitchen cabinet post, but you can apply these guidelines to bookshelves as well.) Sometimes people find though that, even with guidelines, it's just not happening for them. This is when you can use the concept of imitating the structure of an arrangement that you like (which was one of the tips I gave in this Fireplace Accesorizing - Using What You Have post). You may not have the exact items shown in the bookshelf display that you're using for inspiration or it may not be exactly your style or color scheme, but you can imitate the basic structure..

marthastewart.com

Lexington Home Brands


Anne Turner Caroll Southern Living Photo Laurey W. Glenn

If you're stuck for ideas on how to accessorize your shelves or bookcases, hopefully this post will provide you with some inspiration to get started.

Phoebe Howard

BHG.com

Real Simple's 22 Ways to Organize Your Bookshelves
Real Simple/Photo Monica Buck

Real Simple/Photo Aya Brackett

BHG.com's Get Perfect Bookshelves Every Time



BHG's Decorating With Natural Elements



allyou.com

House Beautiful

Williams Sonoma Home

House Beautiful Photo Annie Schlechter